Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how regularly your air filter has been swapped out, to name a few—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction inside your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have a smaller amount of airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask Tokay Heating and Air Conditioning in Lodi about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a couple things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and prolong the amount of time between specialized cleanings.
First and foremost, setup routine HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Tokay Heating and Air Conditioning. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should include inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system running effectively, and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at Tokay Heating and Air Conditioning about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Frequently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Inspecting your air filters routinely and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will show dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not require exchanging.
- Sealing drips in air ducts that allow dust to enter from areas like your attic.
- Trading poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some preemptive measures, you can help keep the air in your Lodi home clean and healthy. Give the experts at Tokay Heating and Air Conditioning a call at 209-257-3156.