You’re in the middle of the most frigid week of winter and you wake up trembling in a pile of blankets in bed. Your first thought is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to leave yourself in a predicament like this where it feels like you’re doomed to suffer until morning to set up furnace repair, but there are a couple things you can take a look at, as well as a couple things you can do, to stay on your toes and prep for a situation like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Chilly nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you have a better chance at averting a chilly morning.
- Compile supplies. Set aside some room in a closet, drawer or another easy to access area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warm while your furnace isn’t working. It might seem bothersome or unnecessary now, but it will come in handy when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Running:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace might have been tripped by a power surge or for some other reason. If this occurs, turn the breaker back on and you might be set. If the breaker is turned off and you have turned it back on but your furnace still isn’t operating, give us a call to set up an appointment for furnace repair.
- Layer on and get cozy. That list of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you keep your body heat so you can stay warm while waiting for your technician. Also, try to find an activity to do to keep your blood pumping, as more activity can help keep you warm.
- Stay safe. Utilizing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose possible danger depending on the method you’re going with. It’s important to remember to never use heating methods developed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use another method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your safest options.
No one wants to have an encounter with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has gone out, but the possibility is real if you don’t take the right steps. Give the pros at Tokay Heating and Air Conditioning a call at 209-257-3156 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services provided or any other number of heating questions.