While winter weather seems like it’s already been here for way too long, its influence on our heating bill is only beginning. Keeping energy costs low during the coldest months of the year can be tough, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to help decrease those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help stave off high heating bills.
To start controlling your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to allow sunlight in, warming your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Adding a programmable thermostat so that you can more precisely control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter regularly.
- Making sure your home’s heating vents are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your furnace has been around for more than 15 years.
- Adding insulation to your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to make sure your shingles are intact, and that there are no holes or areas that need to be sealed.
Attempting to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round effort, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t take a few small steps to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions regarding the tips above or questions about how you can decrease your heating bills, give us a call at 209-257-3156. Our experts are here to help you keep your home comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Lodi weather.